(This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you make a purchase from a link on this page I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I promise to only recommend products that I use and love. Thank you for supporting The Unabashed Life!)
It’s 2016! And I need to let you in on a little secret. . .
I very much dislike resolutions. I’ve found resolutions to be nothing more than telling myself what I plan to fail at this year. Not good or productive.
But, friends, I love planning and dreaming and living a purposeful life. A purposeful life doesn’t merely happen to us—we must intentionally seek it.
And so this past year I filled my brain with all kinds of awesome books have inspired me to live fully and intentionally.
One of those books was Lara Casey’s Make It Happen: Surrender Your Fear. Take the Leap. Live on Purpose. Yes, yes, yes! That is the desire of my heart!
Reading Make It Happen led me to Lara’s amazing PowerSheets. I mean AMAZING. This isn’t your typical goal setting workbook. It’s digging deep into your purpose, your passions, and how you can make a difference in the lives of others. (But enough of me fangirling over it. You can check it out yourself here!)
As I was filling it out, I couldn’t stop thinking about the word “whole” and wholeness as it applies to me. I’ve lived most of my life feeling broken, unrepairable, and confident that there was something wrong with me. I was missing too many desirable qualities to be whole. Simply put, I felt lacking.
And because of this feeling of not enough, I made excuses:
- My anxiety won’t let me. . .
- I’m too overweight for. . .
- I’m too awkward to. . .
But Jesus came, and He set us free. He came and made us whole. In Him, we lack nothing. And it’s not because of anything we have done.
I will spend the rest of my life trying to grasp that Truth. But I want to start right now by beginning to live my life whole and healed.
A big part of The Unabashed Life is equipping us to let go of the shame, anxiety, and brokenness in our life to receive God’s grace, love, and perfection. I want to open up a dialogue about what holds us back from living in the wholeness of God.
So to start the conversation, here are my 2016 goals and why I’m pursuing each of them.
My 10 Goals for 2016 (focusing on pursuing wholeness)
1. Begin to turn my disorganized, chaotic home into a haven of comfort and joy
- to provide a restful and healing shelter for my family and to feel comfortable inviting others into my mess.
2. Prioritize my health and well-being
- when I am healthy, I’m a better wife, mom, friend, etc. . I can serve others a lot easier, too.
3. Grow my faith and relationship with Jesus
- to become more like Jesus and for others (especially my family) to see God through me.
4. Strengthen and prioritize my marriage
- to model a healthy marriage for my kids and to show more love to my husband. My marriage deserves and needs attention to thrive.
5. Create and implement a realistic routine for our family
- to streamline our days, let go of the guilt of forgetting things and to spend more fun time together as a family. (And, hopefully, help the kids sleep better, learn more, and stay healthy!)
6. Monetize The Unabashed Life
- to have more to give; to pay off debt; to take the financial burden off of my husband; to work at something makes me come alive!
7. Spread kindness every day, everywhere
- because Jesus and because it’s the right thing to do. It makes me feel good and teaches my kids how to treat others.
8. Write and sell a book encouraging women to pursue their passions and love well right where they are.
- It’s a message I needed, and I know other women do, too. It’s important for each of us to use our gifts for the betterment of others.
9. Cultivate a rich community around my family
- because we are better together.
10. Do SCARY things.
- Life is best lived outside your comfort zone! I’m tired of a life of fear and weakness and brokenness!
Over the next year, we will be breaking down and discussing wholeness as it applies to all areas of our lives. I’ll share my ideas of how to pursue each ear and awesome resources that I find along the way.
I would love for you to leave me a comment letting me know what your one word and/or goal(s) for 2016 are. I would love to pray over them.
Thanks for being awesome and pursuing the unabashed life with me! Here’s to amazing Jesus-focused year!
Go love well, friend!